- 1. Mumbai Waterfronts Centre
- The Mumbai Waterfronts Centre emerged out of the initiatives of the determined residents of Bandra, a Mumbai neighbourhood, to reclaim their waterfront. [more]
- 2. Triratna Prerana Mandal
- The Triratna Prerana Mandal started out sixteen years ago, just as a group of boys hanging out together in the slum areas of Milan Subway, in Mumbai’s Santa Cruz neighbourhood. [more]
- 3. Urban Design Research Institute
- The Urban Design Research Institute was established as a trust to enrich the understanding of the urban environment and work towards its improvement. [more]
Deutsche Bank Urban Age Award Mumbai
The award presentation followed an open call for entries through which 74 submissions were received. The submissions were extremely diverse, from NGOs, government bodies, academics, architects and developers. The organisations worked on a range of issues including waste management, education, health, historic restoration, housing, transport etc. The jury wanted to recognise that there is no single ‘magic bullet’ for Mumbai’s problems. Cities as complex as Mumbai need a simultaneity of approaches to function successfully.
Therefore, the jury decided to award two entirely different projects, the Triratna Prerana Mandal and the Mumbai Waterfronts Centre, with a special commendation for the Urban Design Research Institute. The winning projects stood out in terms of being closest to the aims of the award i.e. they are transformative projects that can encourage citizens to form partnerships to improve the quality of the urban environment and the quality of life for local residents.
The award presentation ceremony was held at the historic and recently renovated Convocation Hall, University of Mumbai. The Governor of Maharashtra, S.M. Krishna, addressed the gathering speaking about Mumbai’s strengths, as well as the challenges it faces, and the need for NGOs, community organisations and ordinary residents to take part in addressing these challenges. He welcomed the award as a way of honouring these often ‘unsung heroes’.
The project database allows you to search the projects and topics at the Alfred Herrhausen Society
Urban Age 2013The twelfth conference of the series took place in Rio de Janeiro on October 24 and 25, 2013. This years topic "City Transformations" [more]
An overview of our project partners. [more]